Failure to keep both gloves dry.

It’s been raining. All day. Yesterday. Days.

No one is at the gardens. In them.

I spray the lock.

I spray the handle.

I wonder: where will it wash to?

All the Lysol. All the alcohol.

The bleach and anti-

“Into the streams,” comes the answer.

From where? From whom?

From here.

A crown of onions, for which I was sent, unearthed.

A cascade of sky water rivulets with.each.thumb.press.

Adding fingers in their chill to the list of aches I feel from the world.

As I return home to the warmth awaiting, kindled long ago, preciously tended with moments stolen and savored as we exhale on.

9 comments on “Failure to keep both gloves dry.

1. Tina says:

Wet and sloppy, but good for staying indoors. Exhale on…

2. Tina says:

Yes! I thought I was imagining the different smells in the world. I’m near to 183 and it’s much quieter and less with the exhaust! Some consolations, I suppose.

• plumdirt says:

I’ll take it. As someone said, “It’s like Mother Earth has said, ‘Go to your room and think about what you’ve done while I clean up your mess.’

3. shoreacres says:

We had rain Friday night and Saturday, too, and it was wonderful. Slow, and soaking. There’s more coming, they say, and the plants will be happy.

4. albert says:

Beautifully put. Darkly so, but apt. Moving too.

• plumdirt says:

The times have a beauty mixed into the darkness with the light shining dappled through.

• albert says:

And I like your last phrase. It brings back Hopkins, a long-time favorite; e.g. “dapple-dawn-drawn falcon”, “dappled with dew”; then there’s the popular one that begins “Glory be to God for dappled things” and goes on to describe them with joy