Not everyone minds the cold.

It didn’t get above freezing for days. That’s weird here. I’m hopeful for fewer mosquitoes and cabbage fly caterpillars this year.

I don’t know that I’d seen 20 degrees for multiple days in a row since moving here nearly 15 years ago.

This snapdragon didn’t mind the cold, though.

Nor did these dianthus.

I’ll leave the done-for-the-season lantana pruning alone for a bit. The salvia is already sprouting again, so I’ll prune that first.

We’re all still home. We’re all still healing. And the parent-only tropical trip is cancelled for next week. Perhaps this means I’ll catch the first new blooms of the year.

Advertisements

13 comments on “Not everyone minds the cold.

1. Shannon says:

We had our first parent-only trip (to central Texas, 2012) canceled due to a child coming down with croup. We have regular parent-only outings now — some even last a week. Your days are coming! Hang tight.

As for pruning, we leave everything nice and ugly until the green starts to shoot up from underneath the leaf mulch, sometime late-February, early-March. I don’t think the neighbors would know what to do with me if I ever ‘tidy’d’ in the winter. They’d probably think I was getting the house ready to sell!

• plumdirt says:

The salvia sprouting already is what made me think it wanted a trim. Do you know if beauty berries like to wait awhile, too? I’d planned to leave it a bit as well.

• Shannon says:

You can prune it when you do your lantana. To keep it small and manageable, prune it back to 6″ from the ground and it will keep a smallish rounded shape. Such an easy plant!

• plumdirt says:

Going to try and add an elderberry to the mix this year. Just got the family started on homemade elderberry syrup to try and help keep the colds away. May as well try and grow the things instead of buying them. I don’t think I’ll venture into bees yet though 😉

• Shannon says:

We are able to forage for elderberries here, thanks to a couple remaining ‘wild’ spaces. But you’re right — better to propagate (not buy) native varieties that know how to survive unmanaged on your own property. What have you got to lose?

About those bees, plant and they will come! They also do much better when we don’t try so hard to manage them (which is done only so we can steal their food for ourselves). Leave them bee, but think of them as you plant in your suburban space (which I know you do). Plus, beekeeping is a time suck equivalent to having a toddler, I hear.

• plumdirt says:

I have many bees, which makes me happy. My folks got into bee keeping. I think mostly for the fun of bee-house-building (they steal very little honey.)
        If it’s like having a toddler I don’t have a fraction of the requisite time. Perhaps a bat box will get back on the list instead… Although we just lost a 30+ foot hackberry on the property line so a whole quarter of our yard has enough light for more veggies now… Such a growing list.

2. Tina says:

It use to get colder more regularly than it once did. In t 1987 (’88?–can’t quite remember), we had about 3 days of 8-15 degree temps. I can’t even remember when my property (central Austin) got below 23-23–decades, I think. When I first started gardening here, I would never have bothered to plant plumbago, star jasmine vine, or even yellow bells (the more common, tropical sort) because they just weren’t reliably winter-hardy. Roughly every other year, you’d lose those plants to a hard freeze–they wouldn’t return. I guess there are some positives to climate change. 🙂

• plumdirt says:

We had some epic snow in the late 80s in Oregon. I loved finding snow drifts that made me “underground.” It will be interesting to see where agriculture migrates to (or doesn’t) as climates continue to change.

3. Karen says:

Even our Florida weather has been cold. With two nights in the low thirties, I was worried about all our tropical plantings but everything seems to have survived the cold.